• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Jun 2, 2009

Summer Slimdown Diet

Okay, here's the diet. My friend Patty lost 20 pounds in five weeks on this. (Four pounds a week.) But she also worked out like crazy. It's not meant to be a diet to help one maintain their weight (obviously), but to help one lose weight and do so pretty quickly.

I'm now on day five and my hunger pangs have subsided, but when I started this thing I was starving. If someone asked me how many calories I thought it had, I would've guessed 600 or so because I was so hungry. But, I've added it up and there are anywhere from 1200-1400 depending on what lean proteins and fats you choose.

So anyway, here it is:

SUMMER SLIMDOWN

BREAKFAST

OPTION 1
  • 8 oz nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup fresh fruit or berries
  • 2 tbsp slivered almonds
OPTION 2
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites, scrambled
  • 1 cup of veggies (mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, asparagus, broccoli, peppers, spinach, etc.)
  • 2 tbsp guacamole or 1/4 avocado

SNACK
  • 23 almonds

LUNCH

Think of lunch as a puzzle. Here are the pieces:
  • VEGGIE FOUNDATION:
    2 cups dark leafy greens (options include field greens, torn romaine, spinach)
  • VEGGIE PARTNERS
    Add another cup of watery (not starchy) veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, asparagus, broccoli, peppers, spinach, zucchini, artichokes, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, green beans, snow peas
  • LEAN PROTEIN:
    3 oz size of deck of cards grilled chicken, shrimp, chunk light tuna canned in water, firm tofu or low sodium, lean deli turkey
  • ONE “GOOD” FAT:
    A quarter cup (size of a golf ball) of slivered or chopped nuts or avocado or no more than 1 tbsp olive oil
SNACK
  • 1 all-natural bar like Larabars (I love these because the only ingredients are whole nuts and fruit) or Bumblebars
DINNER

PUZZLE PIECES:
  • 1 cup (1 baseball) cooked veggies
  • 3 oz lean protein
  • 1 “good” fat
  • 1/2 cup cooked grain
EXAMPLES:
  • 3 oz grilled chicken with 1 cup Oriental veggies sauteed in oil over 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 3 oz grilled fish with 1 cup steamed green beans garnished with 1/4 cup slivered almonds and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
SNACK
  • 1 cup (1 baseball size) fresh fruit
  • 1 dairy (Options: 1 reduced fat string cheese or 1 Laughing Cow mini babybell round, 6 oz nonfat Greek yogurt, 8 oz skim or calcium fortified soy milk)


And now, a few more notes from me:
  • This diet came from a nutritionist, so the notes contained in it are from her not me.
  • There is a lot of preparing in this diet. If you like convenience, do yourself a favor and buy as many veggies as you can cut and cleaned from a place like Trader Joe's. I did this with mushrooms, snap peas, broccoli, spinach, etc. It makes life a whole lot easier, especially when you have a headache.
  • You can also do this with the liquid egg whites, cooked frozen shrimp, etc.
  • I also bought the guacamole from Trader Joe's. They have something in the produce department that's made from whole avocados and no fillers. If you peel back the plastic topping very slowly to only uncover what you need and store it in a ziplock back, it doesn't brown. The guacamole will be a highlight of your diet—trust me—so make it good.
  • My friend Patty had a chocolate-covered Fiber One bar instead of a Larabar and she still lost weight. I'm sticking with Larabars because they're more nutritional and I happen to love them. Try the Cherry Pie one.
  • I'm also taking a multivitamin.
  • Don't forget to drink tons of water and exercise!

I'm off to work out! I'll post motivation tips when I get back! Happy losing weight!

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak