• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Feb 16, 2007

Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel

Who didn't love "Choose Your Own Adventure" books as a kid? Show me the person - show me!

You can't because they don't exist.

Because I loved all the CYOA books - I had every one in the series - I'm way pumped to read the forthcoming book by Heather McElhatton, Pretty Little Mistakes: A Do-Over Novel. Basically, it's a CYOA book for adults. Here's what Heather has to say about it...

So I lay awake at night a lot and wonder if I've made the right choices with my life. I'm just your typical neurotic writer that way. So I wrote this book called Pretty Little Mistakes, which has over a 150 endings.

On the first page it's the last day of high school - and you have to decide if you go to college or travel. Then you flip to that page, read that section and go on from there. You can end up as a millionaire or homeless by the river. Stuck in a sex cult or an happy marriage. You might become a movie star, a bored housewife, an art thief, a witch, an evil chocolate maker, a murderer, a homicide victim, a Jamaican drug dealer, a porn star, a devout Christian, an Italian shoe designer, a volcanologist, a bar wench, a news reporter, or an orchid farmer. You might end up having accidental sex with a monkey. (It happens.) I'm not even kidding. These are just some of the things that might happen to you in my book.

you travel the world. you join a sex cult. You kill your rapist. you have an abortion. you don't have an abortion. you find the love of your life. you don't find the love of your life. you find out you are gay. you find out you are not gay. you have lovely children. you have monster children. you are killed by sharks. you are killed by choking on a peach pit. you die in your sleep. you die in a car crash. you go to heaven and God is a woman who smokes cigars. you go to heaven and God is a squid. you go to heaven, which is a library filled with answers. you go to heaven, which is this world in reverse. you go to hell, and watch your own personal blooper reel. you go to hell, which is the Mall of America.

So I'm just warning you. The book isn't for everybody. Come to think of it - you probably shouldn't read it - it's pretty messed up.
How clever is that? I loved messed up things and I've always wanted to be a Jamaican drug dealer. (As for a bar wench... been there.)

Click here to be Heather's friend on MySpace. And click here to visit her website. And click here to pre-order the book - it comes out in May.

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak