• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Oct 4, 2006

When Parents Abuse Email

My parents are on the verge of getting their e-mail taken away. Yes, like a mother giving her toddler 'til the count of three to cease unacceptable behavior, I'm at two and three-quarters with them. Seriously, if they forward me one more joke, cartoon, chain letter, prayer, or warning about things like mall parking lots, freezing plastic bottles, and bagged lettuce (okay, fine--this one turned out to be true), I'm gonna go all 'war games' on them and send them a nasty virus that'll shut down their whole system. If they used email to actually communicate with me, I wouldn't mind the occasional joke. But they don't use it to communicate. And they don't send me the occasional joke. These emails are coming in on a daily basis.

I know, I know--just don't read the emails, you say. Delete them. Well, I tried that and it only made matters worse. My Dad actually called me on the phone and started reading them to me. Honest to God--this is how it went down:

2 days ago, via phone:

Dad: Hey, did ya get that one joke I sent?
Me (being vague): Uh... no... maybe... I'm not sure...
Dad: It was a thing by Robin Williams. He was wearing an "I Love NY" shirt that was written in Arabic, and-- well, here... let me go get it and read it to you.
After waiting for my dad to boot up the ole Commodore 64 (okay, slight exaggeration, but I do think he still has dial-up) and find the joke, I sat and listened while he read the entire thing to me from beginning to end. When he was finished:
Dad: That Robin Williams sure is funny. I can just hear him saying those things, can't you?
Me: Sure.
Thinking my dad was finished reading to me, I started to talk about something else. However, I felt like what I was saying was going in one of his ears and out the other. He was looking through his in-box again, I could tell. Suddenly, in the middle of me saying something he cut me--
Dad: Here, listen to this. This one's funny.
--off.

Needless to say, my dad read me another joke. And then another one. And then he actually described a cartoon to me in detail.

I assume I'm not the only person this has happened to. Perhaps we can start a chain letter that our parents can send to all their friends (because you know they will) telling them that if they stop forwarding jokes, cartoons, prayers, warnings, and chain letters (with this exception of this one, of course), they will receive...

- FREE MONEY from Bill Gates and Microsoft
- A FREE COOKIE RECIPE from Neiman Marcus, or
- GOOD LUCK from an angel
(\          /)
( \ __ / )
 ( \ ( ) / )
  ( /<>\ )
  ( / \/ \ )
   / \
  ( )

What do you think?

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak