• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Jul 21, 2009

Chris Brown

Okay, so don't freak out on me for what I'm about to say... but I think people should give Chris Brown a second chance.

Via MSNBC: Chris Brown tapes video apology to Rihanna



He's young and dumb and he made a terrible mistake. But he seems to realize what he did was wrong and is seeking counseling for his issues. And I'm not making any excuses for him, but he did grow up in a violent household, perhaps that messed him up more than anyone imagined. And yes, I realize that many people who are raised around violence don't grow up to beat on women, but still. We don't know what's going on in this kid's head—he's still really young and obviously not well-enough equipped to deal with his apparent anger-management/rage issues.

I guess I'm just saying that coming out of a situation like this Chris Brown can do two things: He can either apologize for what he did and seek help, or he can ignore it and not. But if we want him to realize that what he did was wrong—and I would hope that that's what people would want (even if you want him to be jailed/punished, isn't the goal of punishment to have people learn from their mistakes?)—then we need to be willing to forgive him.

I mean, I remember right when this happened. Everyone wanted him to release a statement, and then when he finally did, it just wasn't good enough. Well, of course it wasn't, because what would have been good enough? Nothing, really—I mean, there's no excuse for what he did. But if people are going to demand that he take responsibility for his actions, then they need to be willing to move past him doing so and on to what comes next, which is forgiveness and rehabilitation.

I don't know... I'm sorry if you disagree, but I said what I believe. I'm a forgiving person, I guess, perhaps too forgiving sometimes.

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak