• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Sep 16, 2008

Funny Story About Gas

I've been paying an estimated gas bill for years. A few months ago, I tried to call in my meter reading, but the automated service wouldn't accept my entry. A few days later, I called and spoke to an actual gas person who told me the reason for the refusal was that the reading hadn't changed much in the past few years. She suspected my meter was broken and told me that someone was going to come out and look at it.

This made me worry.

You see, there's a big sign on the outside of the meter that says something to the effect of, "Do not mess with the meter. Doing so with result in criminal prosecution," and I spray-painted the body a pretty silver color (it was a dreadful shade of gray) and colored the knobs red with nail polish. (It made them really shiny.) So anyway, I was worried that maybe, in painting it, I broke it and I totally thought I was going to go to jail.

When the gas guy showed up, I decided that I was going to play dumb if he asked about the paint job and pretend the guy who lived in the apartment before me did it. While he was checking out the meter, I waited nervously on the couch, the whole time thinking of nothing but an orange jumpsuit. After a few twists and turns of a wrench, he lifted his head and looked over at me.

"It seems to be working fine," he said.

"It does?" I asked, surprised.

"Yep." He stood up and walked over to the stove. "Is this the only thing in the apartment that uses gas?"

"Yes," I said. "Everything else is electric."

He snickered. "Do you cook?"

"No..."

"Never?"

"Not really..."

"Well, your meter reading hasn't changed because you haven't used gas. In three years. Because you don't cook."

I never said I was Betty Crocker.

Although I was kind of embarrassed by the whole incident, I was relieved I wasn't going to jail. And guess what... I just got my new gas bill and I have a $500 credit.

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak