• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Aug 8, 2006

Love, Sex, & My Ex Contest Winner - Week 6

The Love, Sex, & My Ex Contest is not dead! I will be posting one story each day this week to get caught up, so check back tomorrow for Week 7's selection. And now, on to this week's winner...

Don't Date Your Boss
by N. North

When I was in my mid-twenties, I worked at a restaurant while finishing school. I had a bad attitude about waiting tables but an IQ over 75, so the owner promoted me to part-time manager. The full-time manager, "Darren", and I carried on a friendly flirtation, and, once I was promoted, decided to try dating. Try dating. Not fall deliriously in love, get married, procreate and live happily ever after, no. Date. Within days of us taking this leap, the entire restaurant knew we had become romantic and instantly looked at us like we were a couple. Darren included.

After a week and a half went by, Darren and I slept together for the first time. Big mistake. Not only was the sex less than satisfying (read: no milk and cookies for me), but, while the man was still inside of me, he felt the need to tell me HE LOVED ME! Let me just say that ten days into dating and first time coitus is NOT the time to share this sentiment. I thought only psycho females pulled sh*t like this. Unsure of how to respond and in a panic (remember... I was in my mid-twenties and had a penis inside of me), I replied, "I love you, too." WHAT ELSE WAS I SUPPOSED TO SAY? I was pinned underneath the guy.

It gets better.

Did I mention that having sex with Darren was like being fucked by a balloon animal? Yeah, it was. Also, it seemed that Darren missed health class the day they taught condom application. During our three attempts at sex, he used what I call the "sock method" to put on the condom—he'd unroll it completely, bunch it up between his thumbs and forefingers, and proceed to "shimmy" down it onto his pecker, much like how one puts on a knee-high sock. The difference between the two, however, is that shimmying on a sock doesn't leave a big air bubble at the end like shimmying on a condom does. And no, the added length and girth of the air bubble didn't enhance the experience, I assure you.

After the three attempts at sex, I dumped Darren without explanation. Looking back now, perhaps I should've communicated my true feelings to him, explained the errors of his ways, drawn him a diagram—whatever. The bottom line is, don't date your boss, because if you think the sex is bad, dumping him is worse.

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak