• “If ever there was a musical waiting to be written, it's Karyn Bosnak's tale...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “That endearing Holly Golightly of the digital age...”
    — Gawker
  • “An annoying twenty-something who needs to be sent to her room. Without supper. And pronto.”
    — Austin American-Statesman
  • “Sweet and sincere...”
    — Toronto Sun
  • “Almost pathological...”
    — The Times of London
  • “Smartly coiffed.”
    — Chicago Tribune
  • “The best reason yet to euthanize the Internet...”
    — The Orange County Register
  • “Utterly shameless...”
    — Detroit Free Press
  • “An undeniable success..."
    — The Associated Press
  • “Admits to owning such luxurious but questionable items as the 'Darrin's Dance Grooves' video.”
    — Rachel Sklar for The New York Times
  • “Sad but true...”
    — Daily Mirror
  • “A smashing success...”
    — BusinessWeek
  • “The everywoman... who you would want to hang out with, who you would want to be your friend.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “Witty and amusing...”
    — Sunday Mirror
  • “Intriguing, in a scratch-your-head kind of way...”
    — The Charleston Gazette
  • “Jobless, broke and stuck with a queasy cat."
    — The Seattle Times
  • “Entrepreneurial...”
    — South China Morning Post
  • “Laugh-out loud funny...”
    — A Socialite's Life
  • “Chatty and chirpy... with an apartment on East 57th, a cat with a sensitive stomach, and a guilty little secret...”
    — The Independent on Sunday
  • “Professionally perky, easygoing, slightly gushy and, in a disarming way, winsome.”
    — Janelle Brown for Salon.com
  • “A small-town bubbly girl, a winsome lass...”
    — Los Angeles Times
  • “If there's one thing the broke former TV producer has, it's style.”
    — New York Daily News

Watch

My favorite videos:



Chicago Love

  • "No matter where you stand right now - on a hilltop, in a gutter, at a crossroads, in a rut - you need to give yourself the best you have to offer in this moment." — Oprah
  • "If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress." — Obama
  • In lieu of a quote...
    Let your game speak.
    Failure.
    Tell me. — Jordan
  • "If you have the opportunity to play this game of life, you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don't appreciate the moment until it's passed." — Kanye
  • "You know my old saying: live it up, the meter's running... If you don't have fun while you're here, then it's your fault. You only get to do this once." — Harry
  • "You're gonna be doin' alotta doobie rollin' when you're livin' in a van down by the river." — Matt Foley

hit counter code

What I'm Reading Now

Michael lives in my neighborhood. I do not know him but I see him around all the time. This book (his first) was named one of the top 10 best books of 2007 by the NY Times Book Review. He also just won the Impac Dublin Literary Award.

What I Just Read

My rating:

(I need to cry for 5 stars.)

Janelle interviewed me eons ago for Salon.com. She's a sassy lady who's super nice. This is her first novel. It received rave reviews and I loved every minute of it.

Blog Archive

Jun 16, 2006

Love, Sex, & My Ex Contest Winner - Week 2

Tales from the Tennessee Tooter

I've got a few embarrassing stories, all with one common theme: passing gas at inopportune times.

The first time this incredibly embarrassing thing happened to me, I was with my ex. Let's call him Shane. Shane was the typical bad boy/jerk/asshole/cheating boyfriend that I think every girl dates at one point in her life. He was gorgeous, liked his girls skinny and toned, and was total trouble. As it turns out, he's gay now, but that's beside the point.

For reasons unbeknownst to me at the time, Mr. Shane rarely wanted to have sex. (Totally great for my self-esteem, right?) One of the few times he actually blessed me with his sexual attention (can you read my sarcasm?) and was focusing his attention DOWN THERE, I farted. We were totally in the heat of the moment, too.

Can you believe it? HOW EMBARRASSING!

Needless to say, all sexual activity ceased immediately and we never spoke about it again. I might've felt better if Shane could've at least laughed about it, but he didn't. I know it was awkward, but silence? Was he kidding? We never had sex again and eventually broke up.

On to the next occurrence...

One might think that God wouldn't make me go through something like this again, but one would be WRONG. One night, my next boyfriend and I were in the spooning position, seconds away from drifting off to sleep, when suddenly, BAM! I farted again.

This wasn't a "cute" little girly fart either, but a full-on, fraternity-contest winning fart that, looking back, should've blown him right off the bed. Our relationship was new and this was only the the fourth time or so I had slept over his place, so I prayed to God that he was a deep sleeper and already off into dreamland. When I quietly turned my head around to see, I saw that he had a huge grin on his face and was trying hard not to laugh.

Since I had no idea what to do, I quietly said, "Um, excuse me," which caused him to start laughing (in a fun-natured way), which caused me to start laughing, which caused me to fart again. My boyfriend was now so hysterical that he was struggling to breathe. Fearing that I might fart a third time, I tried to stifle my giggles as I once again said, "Excuse me." Eventually things calmed down and we were able to fall asleep. Fortunately, he still wanted to be my boyfriend after the night's episodes, and we went about our lives happily and fart-free until...

Things between us got to be pretty hot and heavy. Once I felt comfortable enough with him to really let loose in the ole bedroom, I did just that. It was somewhat quiet and didn't smell this time (you gotta thank God for the little things, right?), so my boyfriend laughed and continued on with his activities.

This second boyfriend is now my fiancé, and we look back on these instances and laugh. Since we've been together for a while and live together, I can fart freely without feeling judged. (Don't think I do that all the time, though - I promise I'm not a gassy person.) I like to think of my farting as fate telling me that I have a good guy - is that dumb?

I hope you like my embarrassing memory and it gets me a copy of your book. I love the one you've written because I can totally relate to it. By the way, my number is 15 (or is it 14?), and I'm in the middle of my own "Save the Tennessee Tooter" financial crisis right now.

© 2004-2009 Karyn Bosnak